Law Offices of Stephan Math understands that employees are often hesitant to sue their employers or stand up for their wage and hour rights, particularly when their employers are large corporations. Law Offices of Stephan Math supports you through this stressful period of time and helps you receive the justice you deserve. We can assist you with cases involving:
- Unpaid meal/rest breaks
- Unpaid overtime
- Unpaid wages
- Whistleblower retaliation
- Wrongful termination
- Sexual harassment
- Unsafe work conditions
- Workplace violations
Defending workers against wrongful termination
At-will employees, that is, those working without a formal contract, can be fired for no reason. But they can’t be fired for an illegal reason!
- Federal and state laws prohibit an employer from firing a worker on the basis of race, gender, age, religion and nation of origin.
Get back what you deserve
Wrongfully terminated workers can recover lost wages, lost benefits (e.g., insurance coverage and 401K funds) and non-monetary damages, (e.g., reinstatement and an injunction against certain of the employer’s policies and practices).
- An employee cannot be fired because she or he refuses the sexual advances of a superior or voices objections to a hostile work environment.
Retaliation for an employee’s lawful behavior
Employees have several rights they can legally exercise without fear of reprisal. These include:
- Whistleblowing (reporting an employer’s violation of the law to the proper authorities)
- Jury service
- Absence during military service (e.g., National Guard or Reserves)
- Cooperation with a criminal investigation
- Refusing to follow an employer’s order to violate the law or public policy
Negotiating your severance when it’s time to move on
Often workers find it more desirable to move on to new employment rather than try to change the culture of a difficult workplace. If you have reasonable claims of workplace violations, you may be able to negotiate a severance package in exchange for freeing your employer from liability for your claims.
Law Offices of Stephan Math can often negotiate a favorable severance package for contract employees even when their written agreements are restrictive. At-will employees may also negotiate severance when evidence of workplace violations is clear and compelling.
Contact an experienced West Lake Village employment lawyer to discuss your circumstances
Law Offices of Stephan Math can evaluate your employment situation and advise on available remedies and strategies for improving your employment picture. Call Law Offices of Stephan Math at 805.300.2097 or contact the firm online to schedule a free initial consultation.